Bass guitarist Donald “Duck” Dunn, who played with Booker T and the MGs, has died in Tokyo aged 70. The MGs were the house band for Stax Records, and Dunn can be heard on songs such as Otis Redding’s Respect and Sam and Dave’s Hold On, I’m Comin’. He was in Japan for a series of concerts, and had played two shows on Saturday night. His friend and fellow musician Steve Cropper, who was on the same tour, said Dunn had died in his sleep. “Today I lost my best friend,” Cropper wrote on his Facebook page. “The World has lost the best guy and bass player to ever live”. Miho Harasawa, a spokeswoman for Tokyo Blue Note, the last venue Dunn played, confirmed he died alone early Sunday. She had no further details. Born in Memphis on November 24, 1941, Dunn started playing bass at the age of 16. “I tried the guitar but it had two strings too many,” he wrote on his website. “It was just too complicated, man! Plus, I grew up with Steve Cropper. There were so many good guitar players; another one wasn’t needed. What was needed was a bass.” His distinctive grooves underpinned dozens of hit records for the legendary Stax label – including Soul Man and Try A Little Tenderness. The MGs scored their own hit with Green Onions in 1962....Read More
Tag: Donald “Duck” Dunn
I NEED To KNOW
NO SECOND THOUGHTS
PlayLists On Soundcloud March 2017
A TRUE STAR
- Festival: Star Shaped Festival – Britpop’s Finest Return
Great news Britpop fans! Following last year’s sold out inaugural Star Shaped Festival, held at North London’s Garage venue and […]
- Festival: Live At Leeds, Frightened Rabbit, VANT, The Hunna & Rag ‘n’ Bone Man
Already boasting an incredible day and night of invigorating new music and classic live moments, Live At Leeds has further cemented […]
- Festival: Grace Jones Headlines Standon Calling
Already boasting an incredible array of entertainment across the festival weekend, Standon Calling is delighted to announce the incomparable Grace […]
- Festival: Bearded Theory with Seasick Steve, Skunk Anansie, Slaves & Madness
Bearded Theory Festival has announced three more stunning acts onto their already stellar line up for 2017. Platinum selling Scottish indie outfit GLASVEGAS join […]
- Festival: Y Not Festival Reveals Stereophonics, Two Door Cinema Club & The Vaccines.
Derbyshire’s finest festival Y Not (27-30 July) has announced the first wave of acts for this year’s festival and it already looks […]
- Festival: Standon Calling For Orbital, Clean Bandit, Laura Mvula & Slaves.
Bringing together a unique weekend of irresistible fun, extraordinary experiences and unrivalled entertainment, Standon Calling, 27 – 30 July 2017 in Hertfordshire, has over […]
- Boom Town Reveal The Specials, Cypress Hill, M.I.A for Chapter 9
Boomtown have just announced their first wave of acts for Chapter 9, showcasing the festival’s signature mix of expansive genres, […]
- Festival: Glastonbury 2017 – Times Like These
American rockers Foo Fighters have just gone and (finally) announced their upcoming headline slot for Glastonbury 2017! Originally billed to […]
- Festival: Love Supreme Jazz Festival 2017, The Jacksons, Gregory Porter, Herbie Hancock & George Benson.
Love Supreme Jazz Festival have a announced a wonderful line up including The Jacksons (50th anniversary show), Gregory Porter, Laura Mvula, […]
- Festival: Chagstock Festival Announce The Shires & Skinny Lister.
Chagstock Festival have announced that UK country superstars, The Shires will headline the main stage on Saturday night. Hailing from the […]