From album opener “Hey Daydreamer”, a circus-like waltz on longing to return home, through to the tender closing track “States and Spaces”, each song on Sally Seltmann’s album has its own cinematic quality, drawing the listener into a thrilling and emotional journey.
“A dark fairytale for grown ups,” is how Sally describes her song “I Will Not Wear Your Wedding Ring”, while “Billy” tells the story of a woman lamenting the loss of her beloved man. In between there are moments such as “The Small Hotel” with its hopeful mantra and gypsy-folk melodies, where Sally references the optimism and inner-strength that exists within the human psyche.
Sally chose to record the majority of the album at home in her attic studio, working closely with her husband Darren Seltmann (The Avalanches) on co-production. “Darren has such a unique sensibility and vision,” Sally says. “I felt so honored that he wanted to make this album with me.“
More From Rockshot
- October 14, 2013 Video: Teitur. Rock& Roll Band.
Ten years after the release of his first album, he has come full circle returning both to home and his musical roots to record his sixth album Story Music, (released in the UK on […]
- July 23, 2014 Video: Röyksopp & Robyn: Do It Again.
The video for ‘Do It Again’ was shot in Mexico by award-winning Danish filmmaker Martin de Thurah. The short film is called ‘Our Hearts' Desires' and is set in an unspecified era where […]
- February 8, 2013 Video: Dan Micaelson and the Coastguards. Sheets
Whilst Dan Michaelson's 2011 album ‘Sudden Fiction’ saw him decamp to Marfa, Texas to create a sparse, bare boned lament to failing love, his new record ‘Blindspot’ sees a return to […]
- July 23, 2014 Video: Sinéad O’Connor. Take Me To Church.
Sinéad O’Connor will release her brand new single ‘Take Me To Church’ as the first single to be lifted from her new album ‘I’m Not Bossy, I’m The Boss’. The album will be released via […]
- February 18, 2014 Video: Will Varley. Weddings and Wars.
Acclaimed folk singer-songwriter Will Varley has released something you might not
necessarily associate with folk music: a computer-game style music video that shows
the history of […]
- July 15, 2014 Video: Mark Lanegan. Sad Lover. Summer/Autumn 2014 sees the return of MARK LANEGAN BAND who today announce the release of both a new EP and studio album on Flooded Soil / Heavenly Recordings. Kicking off proceedings will […]